Venus Williams opens play at French Open on Day 4

first_imgLacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Defending champion Novak Djokovic is also on the bill, facing Joao Sousa on Court Suzanne Lenglen.The locals will also keep a close eye on 13th-seeded Kristina Mladenovic, a Frenchwoman who dealt with back pain and deficits before winning in the first round. She next takes on 2012 runner-up Sara Errani.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Venus Williams of the U.S. plays a shot against Japan’s Kurumi Nara during their second round match of the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium, in Paris, France. Wednesday, May 31, 2017. (AP Photo/Petr David Josek)PARIS — Under bright sunshine, 10th-seeded Venus Williams will open play on Court Philippe Chatrier against Kurumi Nara of Japan in the second round of the French Open.The first Wednesday at Roland Garros is traditionally known as kids’ day. Parisian boys and girls will get the chance to see some of the game biggest stars this year, with Rafael Nadal later scheduled to resume his quest for a 10th title in Paris against Robin Haase.ADVERTISEMENT View comments BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast LATEST STORIES Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast MOST READ Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession clouds Patafa cuts Tabal, runner says ‘I just want to run for PH’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PARlast_img read more

Read More →

Cuban says Mavs want Kristaps Porzingis, Luka Doncic for long haul

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Latvian big man Porzingis, the number four pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, hasn’t played since undergoing surgery to repair a torn left knee ligament last February.He was traded from the New York Knicks last week in a blockbuster multi-player deal, but the Mavericks were quick to say that they don’t expect him to resume competition this season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesCuban said the Mavericks will evaluate Porzingis and develop a timetable for his return.“I’ve been patient this whole time and I’m going to keep staying patient,” Porzingis said. “We’re going to make the right decisions.” Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Private companies step in to help SEA Games hostingcenter_img Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Newly acquired player Kristaps Porzingis, left, responds to questions as head coach Rick Carlisle, center, and team owner Mark Cuban, right, listen during a news conferences where the newly acquired players were introduced in Dallas, Monday, Feb. 4, 2019. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)Kristaps Porzingis won’t join new Dallas teammate Luka Doncic on court this season, but once he does Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wants to keep the duo together for the long haul.“Our goal is to keep these two together for the next 20 years,” Cuban said Monday as the NBA club held a press conference to introduce new acquisitions Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr. Courtney Lee and Trey Burke.ADVERTISEMENT ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes LATEST STORIES US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants While Porzingis can become a restricted free agent at the end of this season, Cuban envisions Porzingis staying in Dallas and forming a dynamic duo with rookie sensation Doncic, the third overall selection in last June’s draft who is averaging 20.7 points per game along with 7.0 rebounds and 5.4 assists.Porzingis, 23, said he had a “great relationship” with the 19-year-old Slovenian, having played against him in Europe.“I remember he was a few years younger than me. We just know each other from playing against each other for a long time,” Porzingis said. “Now that I have the opportunity to play with him I’m really excited about it.”ADVERTISEMENT Miami Heat to retire Chris Bosh’s No. 1 jersey next month View commentslast_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoNewcastle inviting offers for Rob Elliot

first_imgNewcastle inviting offers for Rob Elliotby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United are inviting offers for Rob Elliot.Rafael Benitez confirmed that Newcastle keeper Rob Elliot will be available during the transfer window with Martin Dubravka, Freddie Woodman and Karl Darlow currently ahead of him in the pecking order.Asked if Darlow could be sold amid speculation linking him with Sky Bet Championship promotion-chasers Leeds, he replied: “I know some of our players, the agents are telling us this club is interested or another one, but we are not ready at the moment to sell anyone.“The only one that now is available in the window is Elliot because the others, at the moment we need them.“Obviously, we have too many keepers and we have to manage, but Rob is available in the window.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

9 months agoTottenham chasing Ajax midfielder Frenkie de Jong

first_imgTottenham chasing Ajax midfielder Frenkie de Jongby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham are chasing Ajax midfielder Frenkie de Jong. The Mirror says Tottenham have entered the race to sign Ajax’s brilliant youngster De Jong — as Real Madrid prepare to launch a £100million bid for his fellow midfielder Christian Eriksen.De Jong will be sold to the highest bidder at the end of this season.Paris Saint-Germain are in pole position, after telling Ajax they will pay £67million.But Madrid have made Eriksen a top summer target as they look to revamp an ageing squad, and Spurs have responded by contacting De Jong’s agent, Ali Dursun, and giving him guarantees that will match the current highest bid for his client. De Jong, 21, looked destined for Manchester City late last year, only for the Premier League champions to request that the deal for him was put on ice. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

17 days agoArsenal defender Mustafi laughs off ‘irrational’ criticism: I’m mentally strong

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Arsenal defender Mustafi laughs off ‘irrational’ criticism: I’m mentally strongby Freddie Taylor17 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveShkodran Mustafi has laughed off a poll naming his as the world’s second worst defender.The Arsenal stopper finished behind Manchester United’s Phil Jones in a survey conducted by Spanish newspaper Marca, who asked 150,000 people who was the world’s worst defender.But Mustafi says he isn’t bothered by the poll results.”In the first two years after my move to Arsenal in 2016, things went very well for me,” Mustafi told German outlet Speigel. “But shortly after Christmas 2018 there was a kink. I’ve made a few mistakes and they’ve created a mess that I’ve never experienced before.”Mustafi added: “There were days when I really doubted something about myself. But at some point I realised that I am mentally strong.”Something my wife said helped me a lot: ‘If you were really as bad as people are making you out, you would never have been a World Champion and Arsenal player, something must have brought you here’. Since then I can handle it better.”I’m self-critical enough to realise that I made mistakes. I can also deal with tough criticism. “But the criticism has become escalated and irrational. I have become a target. At some point, people even blamed me for a defeat I had not played in at all.” last_img read more

Read More →

One LiveAction shot in The Lion King revealed

first_imgLos Angeles: Filmmaker Jon Favreau has shared a snapshot of the only “real” scene in his latest release, The Lion King. It is the first scene of the film, depicting a sunrise photographed in Africa. “This is the only real shot in The Lion King. There are 1,490 rendered shots created by animators and CG artists. I slipped in a single shot that we actually photographed in Africa to see if anyone would notice,” Favreau captioned the image, adding: “It is the first shot of the movie that begins (the song) ‘The circle of life’.” Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: PriyankaFavreau took to Twitter to share the photograph of the rising sun. The image is conisdered iconic and found space in the 1994 animation version of The Lion King, too. The new film brings back the adventures of Simba, the lion cub who is to succeed his father Mufasa as King of the Pride Lands. The film updates the classic tale with photo-realistic and computer-generated animation. Favreau had earlier helmed the 2016 global blockbuster, The Jungle Book.last_img read more

Read More →

Alberta third province to allow Sikhs to ride motorcyles without helmets

first_imgEDMONTON – Alberta is to allow turban-wearing Sikhs to ride motorcycles without helmets.The exemption to the province’s Traffic Safety Act that will apply to adult motorcycle drivers and passengers is to go into effect on April 12.Transportation Minister Brian Mason says the change follows a request from the Sikh community.The decision means Alberta will be the third province to make the exemption after British Columbia and Manitoba.Private member bills which would exempt Sikh motorcyclists were introduced in Ontario by former NDP MPP Jagmeet Singh in 2013 and 2016, but the rules in the province haven’t changed.Mason notes that Alberta has the third highest Sikh population in Canada.“The Sikh community has urged us to grant this exemption in recognition of its civil rights and religious expression,” Mason said Thursday in a release. “Our government is committed to these principles.”The Sikh Motorcycle Club of Ontario praised Alberta’s decision and says Ontario should follow suit.“We call upon the government of Ontario to set aside its unfounded subjugation and allow Sikhs to ride motorcycles with turbans in Ontario,” the club said in a statement.“It is unfortunate that the Liberal Party of Ontario under Premier Kathleen Wynne remains adamant on its stand to deny the Sikhs this basic right.”Jagdeep Singh, the Ontario club’s secretary, said Sikh motorcycle clubs in B.C. and Manitoba are also pleased with Alberta’s move and hope other provinces will grant Sikhs helmet exemptions.Baltej Singh Dhillon, first RCMP officer to wear a turban, also lauded Alberta’s move. He said it shows respect for diversity and religious rights.“The decision by the government of Alberta to allow Sikhs to be able to ride their motorcycles without having to remove their turbans, which is an integral part of the Sikh identity, demonstrates a deep respect for the traditions and customs of the Sikh community,” he said in a release.last_img read more

Read More →

Nominate an exceptional Canadian journalist for CJF Lifetime Achievement Award

first_img Login/Register With: Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Last year’s recipient was Lloyd Robertson, the longtime anchor of CTV National News, who was recognized for his distinguished broadcast journalism career spanning more than five decades. Robertson joined CTV in 1976 and held the title of chief anchor and senior editor with CTV National News for 35 years. He is currently a special correspondent for W5, CTV’s investigative news program.Robertson joined a list of esteemed journalists who have received the award, including Peter Bregg, Michael Maclear, Lise Bissonnette, Joe Schlesinger, Norman Webster, Knowlton Nash, June Callwood, Bernard Derome, Peter C. Newman, Peter Gzowski and Robert Fulford. The full list of winners is available on the awards page.The winner will be presented at the CJF Awards at the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto on June 8, 2017. Early-bird rates for tickets and tables are available until March 31, 2017.Visit our website for award details and submit your nomination online.About The Canadian Journalism FoundationEstablished in 1990, The Canadian Journalism Foundation promotes excellence in journalism by celebrating outstanding journalistic achievement. Our signature events include an annual awards program featuring a must-attend industry gala where Canada’s top newsmakers meet Canada’s top news people. Through J-Talks, our popular speakers’ series, we facilitate dialogue among journalists, business people, academics and students about the role of the media in Canadian society and the ongoing challenges for media in the digital era. The foundation also supports journalism websites J-Source.ca (English) and ProjetJ.ca (French) and fosters opportunities for journalism education, training and research. Which Canadian journalist should be recognized for his/her outstanding lifetime contribution to the craft? Nominate your choice for The Canadian Journalism Foundation (CJF) Lifetime Achievement Award before the Feb. 24, 2017 deadline.“With the advent of social media and false news, the relevance and foundation of responsible journalism are facing new challenges,” says Michel Cormier, a member of the jury and executive director of News and Current Affairs at Radio-Canada. “The Lifetime Achievement Award rewards journalists who have made remarkable contributions in reporting and making sense of facts, which are essential to a healthy democratic debate.”Among the items to be considered are: body of journalistic work during career; contribution to society through outstanding journalism; and recognition and respect from peers and community. Individuals who have worked in any type of media and in any journalism category are eligible for consideration. Facebook Advertisement Advertisement Twitterlast_img read more

Read More →